The BEST Gay News in Chicago
Beaches, Bars, Socials, Events and More!
World of Chocolate Raises $120,000
More than 1,100 guests,
some decked out in their finest 1920s costumes, came together at Union Station to celebrate the AIDS Foundation of Chicago’s (AFC) 14th annual World of Chocolate gala on Thursday, Dec. 3. The larger-than-life celebration really was the bee’s knees — offering guests the chance to try chocolate inspired creations from 27 of Chicago’s top chocolatiers, chefs and caterers. Held annually in commemoration of World AIDS Day, this year’s event raised approximately $120,000 net in support of AFC’s continued care, policy, advocacy and education work.
Treats ranged from sweet bites to savory selections, and attendees also flocked to the speakeasy-inspired bars for some scrumptious chocolate cocktails. An expert panel of judges, including local celebrities and renowned Chicago-area chefs, judged the participating vendors in five categories:
- Best Sweet Award – Kendall College
- Best Savory Award – Chicago Athletic Association Hotel
- Best Libation Award – CH Distillery
- Best Business Class, Small Business Award – Fred’s at Barneys New York Chicago
- Best Business Class, Large Business Award – The Peninsula Chicago
- People’s Choice Award – Intercontinental Hotel Chicago
Funds raised through World of Chocolate support AFC’s work to end new HIV infections in Chicago and beyond. Proceeds from the event will:
· Help more than 5,000 people each year know their HIV status
· Support efforts to house 1,100 Chicagoans who are experiencing homelessness
· Enable more than 5,300 clients to receive case management services
· Fund trainings for hundreds of medical professionals about PrEP
Generous vendors participating in World of Chocolate included: the Brass Monkey, CH Distillery, Chicago Athletic Association Hotel, Chocolat Uzma Sharif, Dove Chocolate Discoveries, Fred’s of Barneys New York Chicago, Hilton Chicago, Intercontinental Hotel, Italian Village Restaurants, Kendall College School of Culinary Arts, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, Life’s Sweeter Side, Loews Chicago Hotel, Mercat a la Planxa, the Peninsula Chicago, Prasino LaGrange, Riques Cocina Mexicana, RL Restaurant, Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, Starbucks, Summer House Santa Monica, Uptown Brownie, Vanille Patisserie, Virgin Hotels Chicago, Walgreens, Wow Bao and ZED451.
- The AIDS Foundation of Chicago mobilizes communities to create equity and justice for people living with and vulnerable to HIV and related chronic diseases. We work toward a day when people living with HIV and related chronic diseases will thrive, and new HIV infections will be rare. To learn more, visit www.aidschicago.org.